Teaching & Learning
Welcome to Teaching and Learning
The goal of the Selah School District Teaching & Learning department is to meet the needs of the whole child by creating an EQUITY centered, ENGAGING and PERSONALIZED learning experience in an emotionally and physically SAFE environment for each child in Selah. SSD will meet this goal through our strategic priorities, The Viking Promise. Acting as our blueprint, these most essential educational priorities will guide our work to ensure student success. The Viking Promise consists of seven pillars which, if implemented effectively and system-wide, will help us close the opportunity gaps that exist in our district. The seven pillars are as follows:
- Ensure student learning by creating Rigorous and Engaging Classrooms through growth producing relationships, lesson clarity and challenge to create learning environments where each child will thrive.
- Utilize Positive Behavioral Intervention & Supports with restorative practices for building community within our schools through a proactive response to student behavioral needs.
- Adopt a student-focused, Culturally Responsive Teaching approach that identifies and celebrates not only the differences between students but also the unique strengths of each child to encourage their academic achievement and a sense of belonging in the classroom.
- Provide systematic, evidence-based Social-Emotional Learning for every student to foster and equip them as scholars, community members and citizens.
- Implement Trauma Sensitive Practices so adults in the organization understand, recognize and respond to the impact of Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs) on our students, families and staff.
- Through our Together We Can Family and Community Engagement model, help provide the support and resources to build partnerships that meet the needs of every unique family dynamic.
- Enact a Future Ready approach to learning by utilizing technology and incorporating our Portrait of a Graduate vision into our program design and delivery.
The Selah School District T & L department is committed to challenging students to attain their highest potential, to initiate a desire and curiosity to expand thinking, and to apply knowledge to real-world settings. We are committed to having our students acquire the skills and attributes necessary to become productive citizens in our community and society. To maximize student achievement, all stakeholders in our system must be supported: educators, administrators, students and parents. T & L provides leadership and facilitates programs related to curriculum, instruction, staff development, assessment and technology.